Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Birthday to Rhett


Well, today's the day. Rhett turns 36. He has been dreading this day for a while now and we (the Boys and I) are determined to not let him be depressed.


His celebration began on Sunday when we ate dinner with his parents and Meredith and TJ. We went to his favorite place for Mexican food in Greer, El Mariachi and though he didn't want them to, they sang to him! There he is at the top of the page. He smiled on the outside, but he wasn't smiling too much on the inside!


I made his birthday dinner Monday night since he has class tonight and we got him a huge chocolate chip cookie instead of a cake. He smiled more when we sang to him. Maybe he was just happy not to have to wear a hat!


This morning he woke up and while he was getting ready to leave, Reece and Garett brought him the card they made and a balloon that we hid in the shower. I think the balloon is his only surprise since he bought the shirts and movie that he wanted for his present and will pick out a new Dallas Cowboys shirt online for me to order, but that's the way he likes it. Nice and calm, no surprises.


When we talked about this birthday I was told, "No Party". End of discussion. When I tried to downplay the number 36 (and that's all it is, a number) I was told that that was easy for me to say, I'm 33 and that's closer to 30 than 40. He's closer to 40 and that makes all the difference I guess. I told him that I didn't care what age I was because as long as we grow old together I'm good. That shut him up! How can you complain about growing old when you are growing old with the one you love?


I have known Rhett for 15 of his birthdays. The first one we celebrated was his 21st. It wasn't as wild and crazy as you would imagine. In fact, we celebrated with Melanie and Stephen Jeter! No late night drinking with no remembrance of what went on. Just dinner and I'm sure since we were with Stephen that was lots of reflection and looking forward. Fast forward 4 years and we celebrated his 25th birthday as husband and wife. I didn't ask this time-I just threw the party! That's what wives do, right? I was a new wife and the surprise party was at Don Pablos (can you tell that Mexican is Rhett's favorite food?!). It was a surprise til he started recognizing cars in the parking lot! Oh well, I tried! He has had new babies to help celebrate on his 29th, 31st, 34th and now 36th birthdays. Every year adds more cards to his collection with hands traced on the back with the date. One day Rhett's sons' hands will be too big to fit on the back of a card to be traced and we will marvel at where the time has gone.


Before I end, I want to thank Rhett's Mom, Vonnie, for having Rhett 36 years ago today. The day he was born, God chose him for me and I am so grateful that you raised such a loving and wonderful son. He is the best Father ever and I am proud to be Mrs. Timothy Rhett Brown.


I want to end this with a quote from the birthday card Reece made for his Daddy.


"You rock and I bet everyone else thenks that to! I love you and everyone else dose to!"



He read my mind! Rhett, you do rock and we love you so very much! Happy Birthday!



Till next time, I'm fondly yours,


Jeanne, Queen of the Rhett Brown clan


P.S. Thank you Mrs. Kinard for the word "fondly"!! :o)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeanne tell Rhett life begins at forty!!! He is very lucky to be able to grow old with you! Your a wonderful mom to the boys!! Keep me on the blog list it brightens my day!! I miss you all come see us soon!!

Renee Kimbrell said...

Tell Rhett that 36 is a piece of cake. (Or in Rhett's mind a Taco)! I turn 40 in June while my better half will still be 33. 36 doesn't sound so bad now! Let's review: 36 YOA, young "spunky" wife and four handsome children. Not bad for such a young age.

I love reading your stories, so keep them coming.

jackie o said...

Jeanne,

I LOVE your blog. Your family is so wonderful! Remind Rhett that if he considers the alternative, then turning 36 will be wonderful! Life is so great at any age, truly it is. I am 60 and have loved every age for one reason or another. You guys are so precious and have many years with those precious boys. I am so glad you are so happy. all my love, Jackie O

Claire said...

Haapy Belated B'day Rhett! Buy yourself some Dallas tickets and go celebrate. Sting and The Police help me thru the trauma of hitting 40 in September. The 4 year countdown is on..............